Saturday, March 25, 2017

3-24-2017 Close Shaves

When something bad happens, but it could have been much, much worse, and instead of a major tragedy we say things like "a few cuts and bruises" or "pretty shaken up, but ok".

Tonight, my dog Stella got into a dog fight.  She looked ok at first and acted like she wanted to play except for a big gaping hole in her neck at least two inches long.  Dogs don't seem to bleed the exact same way that people do so it almost looked impossible or fake that there's such a big hole.  She seemed ok and I started thinking about how much this might cost to get fixed and took her to the vet.  She eventually started to bleed a little bit because she was pulling at the leash when she walked into the vet's office.

After some time the vet came to talk to me.  She told me that the bite was incredibly close to her jugular and I immediately had an image in my head of seeing her bleed out and die on my kitchen floor at home.

But, that did not happen.
It's just some stitches and a few hundred dollars in vet bills.

There have been other close shaves I've seen in my life.  The bad thing didn't happen, it almost did, but not this time.

It's better if these things didn't happen at all, but for all the close shaves, I'm grateful for each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment