Sunday, July 15, 2012

7-7-2012 Sailing

A lot of fun things happened today.  Toward the end of the day I ended up on a small sailboat by myself and had to sail it back home.  It wasn't very far but it was directly into the wind.  It had been years since I last sailed, maybe not since I took a sailing course sometime during college.  I knew some of the theory but had little practiced.

I wanted to tack into the wind.  I made some progress away from the dock but after 10 minutes I seemed to have made no forward progress in the direction I wanted  (the words forward progress were now stuck in my head).   Think, think, think... what to do?

If I took too long to get back, someone would have to come and get me and tow me back, I was determined to not let that happen.

Eventually, I caught some wind, the sails filled, the little boat tilted and I made some progress.  I cut across the water, against the wind at an angle, then made a turn and successfully filled the sail again, lather, rinse repeat.

One more try, then I was heading right toward the dock at a perfect angle.

I had done it.

Sailing taught me something about relearning things that someone once taught you.

I am grateful for sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment