Saturday, September 8, 2012

9-8-2012 Was Able to Loosen Nut

A very minor thing today, but when it happened I thought that this is what I would write down.

I have fixed toilets a lot.  Partially, because I don't seem to get it right the first time.  The downstairs toilet was starting to leak in two spots since the last time I had fixed it.  Spot one was at where the supply line connects to the cut off valve, and the other spot was where the supply line connected to the tank.

The upstairs toilet had also been leaking at the supply line and I was afraid to touch it so I called a plumber, who for $145 fixed it and also made me see how easy it was - he also gave me some valuable tips on toilet repair.

So, I set out to fix the downstairs toilet.  Still concerned about what if I broke the cut off valve - big disaster.

I tried to loosen the nut - it wouldn't budge.  Sprayed it with wd-40 and tried again in a few minutes. And then it came off with no problems and the rest of repair went smoothly.

It all hinged on getting that somewhat corroded looking nut to budge without messing up the cut off valve.

So, for that one moment that could have turned a simple repair into a disaster, but didn't -

I am grateful I was able to loosen that nut.

No comments:

Post a Comment