Tuesday, May 8, 2012

4-30-2012 "follow me to Boston" Kenny

This is a flashback post, something that popped into my mind.
Back in 2008 I was trying to qualify to run the Boston marathon and was "planning" on running a 3:15 at the San Diego marathon in June.  Sometime in April I injured myself and had to take some time off.  With physical therapy and a few good sports massages, I was able to get back in shape enough where I could at least complete the race which I had signed up for already and had plane tickets and a place to stay arranged (my brother's house in Carlsbad).

On race day I felt a little bit better than I thought I would.  Headed down the hill from Balboa park into San Diego's gas light district.  I came up behind a man running with no shirt on who had written in marker on his back "Follow me to Boston!! 3:20 or bust".

The man's name was Kenny and I followed him, and suddenly the running felt easy and I was really enjoying the day while running at a nice pace.

I didn't quite make it to the Boston time that day (had a 3:24), but it was one of the best marathons I ever ran as far as feeling good and being able to do more than I thought I was capable of.

I'm grateful for "follow me to Boston" Kenny.

No comments:

Post a Comment