Tuesday, March 6, 2012

3-3-2012 Bees

While I was running on Saturday morning, with a good friend named Dixie (short for Dixson), and we passed by something with blossoms and caught the aromatic scent.  I noticed it.  He noticed it, too and said it smells like honey.  My first thought was maybe he was talking about honeysuckle blossoms which have a wonderful scent, but not it was not.

He recently took a bee keeping class and now owns two hives.

I have been stung by bees and am usually afraid of bees, but they are out there doing so much for us besides just making honey, they are responsible for a sizable amount of food production.  As bees disappear from the somewhat mysterious colony collapse disorder there is a big threat to how much food there is and how relatively inexpensive it is in this country (which is another thing to be grateful for).

So, to those hardworking bees out there, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment