Monday, February 6, 2012

2-5-2012 My Dad

I hope I don't get in trouble for thinking of my Mom first, but today I was grateful for my Dad.  My poor neglected boat which has been sitting on a lift at their house was not starting.  It hasn't been starting for a while.  My Dad said why not try some starter fluid in the carburetor.  This engine is an inboard / outboard engine aka sterndrive, so it basically looks like a car engine for the most part.  But I couldn't tell where the air filter was it.  He pointed it out to me,  yup that was it alright.  I sprayed in some of the spray and tried to start the boat and the engine caught for a second but didn't continue to run.  Well, at least it's getting a spark.

I had been kind of resentful on one level because I didn't feel like I was getting any help or suggestions.  He'd just sort of watch me while I tried various things and would help if I asked him to do something for me.  So, when he made the starter fluid suggestion and helped me find where the air filter was so I could remove it and spray inside the carburetor it was kind of nice.

After that tiny bit of success, and along with the success of the new mildew remover I bought (so the boat doesn't look as run down now).  I at least have a plan in my head as to how I'm going to get this boat thing all straightened out.  Things just became clearer.  Maybe it was how spraying in the fluid and hearing the engine almost starting showed me that the engine could still make a spark, that was the spark I needed to know was there.

So, today I'm grateful for my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment