Friday, February 10, 2012

2-9-2012 Sleep

SLEEP

When people are younger they take sleep for granted.   Then someday, you wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep for a long time.  Maybe not at all, or maybe a few minutes before the alarm clock goes off.  It is sleep that divides between the previous day and the next day, between the worn out feeling (sometimes) at the end of the day and the promise of a new day the next morning.  We can dream while asleep.  The body gets stronger from sleep and sometimes our minds get clearer.

There have even been times in my life where I had to stay awake all night - all nighter for school, driving through the night by myself, midnight to 4 watch in the navy, etc.  It's never any fun when you have to stay up all night.  It's even less fun when you don't have to stay up all night, but just can't fall asleep.
 
I had been missing more and more sleep recently.   Last night I was able to get some sleep.  I heard my wife's alarm clock go off at 5:00, then I fell back asleep until my 6:00 alarm went off.  On mornings she had been waking up at 5:00, I would wake up too and be wide awake even though I didn't have to leave for work for a long time and I didn't have any sort of big long run.

So, today I'm grateful for sleep (actually should remember to be grateful for sleep every night when going to sleep and every morning I wake up after a good night's sleep).

2 comments:

  1. I've been struggling with sleep very much so myself these past few months. I've thought the same - how is it we can sleep and sleep and sleep when we're younger, but since I've hit my 30's (and had a baby who actually does sleep!), that solid slumber has alluded me. I've actually been taking a natural sleeping tablet you can buy at the supermarket (I don't ever want to resort to actual prescription medicine), and I find that they're actually helping me sleep through. Thanks for your comment, I write grateful posts each week as part of a blog hop, and look forward to reading more of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Shelley. You are lucky to have a baby that sleeps! I will look forward to more grateful posts on your blog.

    ReplyDelete